Monday, August 12, 2013

Bittersweet

This morning will mark the end of a Beth Moore Bible study on the Psalms of Ascent for me. The close of any of the studies I participate in, and especially those that I am leading or facilitating, always brings some mixed emotions. 

For one, I am honestly relieved. You may find that less-than-ideal of an answer from someone "leading" a study. But, in all honestly, I am spent by the end. It never fails that in taking up the role to be somewhere consistently, diligently seeking after others' hearts, consciously being aware of the lessons and homework to guard ears from error or steer myself and others towards the bigger points of Christ....well, it is work. It is a good work though and continues to train me. And, I know it is a good work just because of the constant tiny battles that pop up in the path of doing the work set before me - everything from broken washing machines and computers, irritability with your whole family some nights, colds and fevers dragging you down, and the pull from the million other duties you see on your plate. So, in some sense, it is good to come to yet another end and lighten the load at least for a brief rest.

But, on the other hand, it is sad to depart. I know for me, despite your beliefs over how strong Beth Moore is or any particular study is, I have grown. I do believe most of the growth stems directly from being forced to read and think on and digest or apply God's Word. The study shows us passages and makes us pause to really stop and listen, and I do tend to be optimistic (maybe because I personally experience it each time) that God's Word ultimately shines through. 
As a side note, to those that seem to have such a distaste for Beth Moore, I don't find her to be a false teacher at all. Her personality is somewhat caricature for me (probably because I am so dull!), but she is not really unlike some if my real life friends. And, she does have a sincere love for our Lord and His truth. Most of the critiques I have seen of her have been out if context with the body of who she is and what she says (this is my 3rd completed study by her). 

And, since I have grown in my personal walk with the Lord, it is all worthwhile. Yet, there are more benefits. I get to see hearts of ladies around me open and grow, too. We have laughed and cried together. We have poked fun at one another and encouraged, too. We become friends in sharing the pilgrimage to know Christ our Lord more deeply and dearly. We are all in different stages of our walk with Him to be sure. Some are stronger in areas than others. Some are weaker than others, too. But, it becomes a small picture of the bigger church in this sort of study together. We start to solidify our unity in Christ. We start to work together as parts of the body do. And, that is a beautiful thing! It is encouraging because of the practical things the union achieves. It is encouraging to see God's Word on the matter of union, the Church, edifying and a coursing, and more prove to be true yet again. 

To those that are not "plugged in," let me say you are missing out! There are blessings there. Get in. Mix it up. Dig into God's Word regardless! But, do yourself a favor and find the additional helps and bonuses by doing it with another as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment