Monday, April 1, 2013

MIA: Motivation, discipline, accountability

I don't know if it is a by-product of being a SAHM or not, but there are some days I lack the get-up-and-go that I once had.  Perhaps I always need a deadline.  Perhaps I always need to be stressed out.  Perhaps I just need a tight agenda with a huge to-do list (and some penalty for not accomplishing the tasks).  But, the fact remains, I lack motivation and dedication or drive these days.  I think I automatically take for granted that there's always tomorrow, so I don't HAVE to do thus-and-such right now...unless I really want to.  And, who really ever wants to fold that basket of laundry? 

Oh, there IS a point when it gets done.  I do get sick of it. I get irritated when the horizontal space in my place is occupied by anything and everything and I can't put my hands on some miscellaneous item that you knew "was just here yesterday!" And, overall, my place is not a wreck.  It is to me, and likely always will be as long as we have "stuff." But, it's not organized.  By far, not organized.  And, I do want it organized. I promise...just not enough to really get moving to do something about it.  So, I hen-peck towards organization while a mini-tornadoes of new clutter and the cycle of laundry, dirty dishes, garbage creation and collection, dust settling continues to go on and on and on.  In other words, I try to chip away at the mountain of foundational cleaning while I have to put down my tools and attack the normal maintenance things.  And, far too often, I'm afraid, I just sit down and throw my hands up because it gets old.  And, mentally, I've likely said that's "okay" to do - because there's always tomorrow. 

Am I the only one like this? Am I the only one that once seemed to be orderly and have a well-planned day and then when the paycheck and accountability from that paycheck disappeared, I stopped "working."  Oh, don't get me wrong. I understand that I shouldn't prioritize the housework over the child-rearing.  I understand there's a limit to the worry over maintaining the house.  But, I so struggle with the discipline aspect these days.  I need structure and accountability.  And, I'm not sure how to get that if mentally I can blow it off too easily.  How do I rewire my brain to prioritize it appropriately so I don 't find myself wondering what I could or should be doing yet giving into a lazy mindset? 

No comments:

Post a Comment